The Rural Health Experience is a 3-5 day rural immersion experience for health professions students interested in learning about the delivery of health care in a particular rural community. Northwest Illinois AHEC partners with the National Center for Rural Health Professions to provide this opportunity to students that are enrolled in Health Career programs.
The RHE is designed to:
- Provide experience in rural healthcare settings;
- Acquaint students with rural lifestyle;
- Convey knowledge and appreciation for a variety of health professions disciplines;
- Create awareness of rural health needs;
- Provide an opportunity for students to learn and work in an environment that supports health professionals working together
- Encourage awareness and acceptance of different cultures and promote learning through active and organized participation in the community
Below is a summary of a student in regards to her KSB experience for her Rural Health Program:
Being able to experience the work that Dr. Rob Baker does each day, and seeing the impact that he makes on the hospital and patients opened my eyes to another whole world of pharmacy. With the Rural Health Experience being my first time experiencing a rural hospital health care team in action, it further reinforced my desires of working in a rural community. The KSB Hospital staff was phenomenal, all of which being kind and welcoming to me. Besides the staff, however, were the patient-professional relationships that I was able to witness. In the rural hospital of KSB, the trust that is shared between patient and professional, the respect that is given amongst each other, and the quality of care that is provided to each patient is nothing short of superb. As I go into my final years in pharmacy school, I now have a tough decision to make regarding my post degree plans. I highly recommend the Rural Health Experience to any future rural health care professional still searching for his or her role in the community.